1340 AM

Frequency Call Letters Moniker Format Owner
1340 KGHM 1340 The Game Sports Talk iHeartMedia

City of License: Midwest City (originally licensed to Oklahoma City)
Power: 1 kw
Website: http://1340thegame.iheart.com
Notes: This station ran as a talk format in the first decade of the 21st century. In late 2004, KEBC ended a brokered nightly simulcast of Urban AC KRMP (1140 The Touch). In 2005, the station began to simulcast sister news/talk KTOK in late evening/weekend hours.
In 2007, Clear Channel flipped to Fox Sports Radio 1340, making it the fourth all-sports station in Oklahoma City.
As “The Game,” KGHM has picked up the rights to Oklahoma City’s minor league teams including the now-defunct Oklahoma City Barons hockey team and the Triple-A baseball Oklahoma City Dodgers (formerly Redhawks).
For most of its life, the station was licensed to Oklahoma City. In 2001, Clear Channel moved to the city of license to Midwest City. It was part of a complicated proposed move of 50kw blowtorch KGYN Guymon (then operated by Clear Channel) to Oklahoma City at 1210 AM. Clear Channel proposed swapping then-KEBC with the owners of KTLV 1220 AM in Midwest City. By moving KEBC’s city of license to Midwest City, it enabled the community to not lose a local service. The plan fell through, but KGHM remains licensed to Midwest City.

Previous Call Letters/Formats:
KEBC (Fox Sports 1340 – 2007-2010)
KEBC (News.Talk — Information Radio1340 KEBC [and brokered Urban simulcast of KVSP/KRMP-AM 1140)] — ??-January 8, 2007)
KEBC (Sports Talk 1340 KEBC — ?? –??)
KXXY-AM (KXXY-FM Simulcast – August 5,1985-August 23,1996)
KCNN (CNN Radio – November 3, 1984-August 5, 1985)
KXXY-AM (KXXY-FM Simulcast – August 29,1983-November 3, 1984)
KOCY (All formats unknown [was top-40 from 1956?-??] – 1922-1984; KOCY was one of the first stations to broadcast 24 hours)
KGCB (Unknown — ?? to ??)

John Olson on KGCB/KOCY: “KGCB was originally owned by a church – I think in south OKC (Greater Christian Broadcasting???). It was purchased in the late 1930’s by Matthew Bonebrake – a former OPUBCO and WKY radio sales manager – who changed the call letters to KOCY. It was an ABC affiliate during the 1940’s and early 1950’s. It became Oklahoma City’s first full-time Top-40 station in the mid-1950’s. It was also the first radio station in the country to offer “News Every Hour – On the Hour”- a revolutionary idea in the 1940’s.

Bonebrake was also one of the first broadcasters in the country to install an FM station in the 1940s (KOCY-FM). It, of course, failed as did the others that went on the air in that time frame.

The original KOCY studios were in the north end of the Plaza Court Building at N.W. 12th and Classen Drive. In the mid 1960’s they moved to N.W. 28th and Oklahoma.”

Audio Archive

Previous Logos